Tuesday, August 25, 2009

1st day of school

Every one needs a first day of school post......so here's mine!


Lindsay just started 2ND grade and Alyssa is now an official Kindergartner!

...this is them ready to go!

I can't believe Lindsay is a 2ND grader, how does time go so slow....yet soooooooo fast?!


Waiting outside the school for the flag raising and the anticipated bell. Alyssa immediately found a friend and left my side....she'll have no problem in Kindergarten!

This year at our school they are beginning a new Chinese Immersion program which I am very excited for Alyssa to be in. It begins with the Kindergartners this year and they'll stay with it through sixth grade. For her it's an extended day and she'll spend the whole morning with some cute teachers hired from China. Only Mandarin Chinese will be spoken and they'll learn all lessons in Chinese. They stay for lunch then afterward they get an hour and a half with an english kindergarten teacher. Through the years they will do half the day in all chinese: math lessons, reading, writing and everything totally immersed in chinese and the second half the lessons in english. What an amazing opportunity it'll be for her to know the chinese language, which is a language spoken by millions or billions (I don't know the stats). She will certainly have a leg up when she is older! I know she'll excel in this program, because although she is still considered 'special needs' she has a brilliant mind and picks up quickly on things like this.

I had to throw one in of Cameron...he doesn't get enough exposure on this blog! As you can see I try to inundate him with boy things and brain wash him to like spider man. He'll be so surrounded with sisters his whole life....like I was, So I need to try my hardest to 'boy' him up! Any suggestions are welcome...especially when it comes to potty training this little guy...he is so stubborn and just won't do it!!!


7 comments:

Libby said...

So excited for Alyssa (and Lindsay too:))! Definitely keep me updated with how the language program is going - seriously considering it for Zoe in a couple of years. What cute kids you have - Zoe had a great time the other day!

Amanda said...

They are darling. Chinese? That is crazy!

Kira said...

Alyssa is very bright...AND determined. She will do marvelous. As for Cameron....Keaton was rough too. He still is bad at night. Nothing worked with him either until my sister tried shame. She had her 11 year old boy (whom Keaton LOVES) make a comment to Keaton when he had an accident that he was surprised Keaton still had accidents. He has been dry since then. Maybe it was a horrible idea and abusive but at least there is no more pee on my floor to clean up :)

Anonymous said...

adorable!

Momonine said...

These are exciting days for your family! Is Cameron keeping busy during the day without his sisters? It would be so neat to be able to a fly on the wall during Alyssa's Chinese classes! Spanish has been so hard for us--but young minds are so totally spongey that she'll soak it right up.
How about the interviews??

Unknown said...

What darling pictures. How neat that she is in Chinese immersion. I can't get mine to learn Spanish. :) Congrats on the upcoming girl. How are you feeling?

Rachel Rogers said...

how amazing!...I so wish I had an opportunity to learn Mandarin in school!...she'll love it :) I loved seeing their first day of school photos...I always loved the first day!